Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ya Gotta Have Friends

As I embark on my new journey, feeling a little friendless although I have many friends throughout the country, I remember the saying, "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold." I'll be missing the daily contact with friends and coworkers that I thrived on at work. But as I explore the world that is inhabited with stay at home moms I dare not lose those past friends who helped shape me into the woman I am today.

So just as mommy needs friends, so does Baby A. Since my last day at work was just this past Friday, we haven't had many scheduled playdates, but have managed to hang out with my good friend's son (Baby A thinks he's a little hottie) and bonus, they don't live too far away. He's three months older than Baby A, so while her little man friend is hot roddin' around, our little miss is just spinnin' her wheels. But her new little buddy gave her the tools and the confidence to sit up on her own, without the help of her dear ole mom. How cool is that? The only potential problem I see arising is that this kid, even at 9 months, is a diehard Cubs fan. That's like mixing oil and water in this town. But he's so dang cute. We may have to overlook it for awhile.

God has blessed me with some wonderful friends who have resurfaced from the past, some who have been by my side for years, and some who I am newly getting acquainted with. I've had so much fun through the years with a who's who of people from every walk of life. And that has made all the difference, as Robert Frost said. I never thought that anyone understood me, but all along we were all struggling to be ourselves in a world that made it hard to be anyone but. I pray that God blesses sweet Baby A with as diverse a group of friends as He has me.

3 comments:

Sparky said...

Oh, no you didn't! Ha - I'm famous, I guess. Just as long as Baby A knows her Crue, we'll be okay!

+gmjameson said...

The older we get, the more we need people who knew us when we were young ... so says Baz Luhrmann in the infamous "Sunscreen" song ... but how great to make new pals as we traverse the globe.

Here's to hoping we find time to connect soon!

SarahHub said...

Can't wait for our playdate next week!