Friday, August 15, 2008

The meaning of music

Everyone in my family has some kind of musical talent, it must be genetic. My mother sings, plays piano, guitar, and saxophone; my grandmother also sang and played piano and organ. I sing and play piano, and did a short stint as a sax player. My daddy and I would perform (in the comfort of our own living room) '70s-style karoake, singing duets of Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty covers. And I have aunts, uncles, cousins, and half-brothers and -sisters who also have the "knack." The love of my mother's life, Willie Richardson, was the consummate blues musician, who never really got his due. But that's a story for another day. Willie was an axeman. And so is my husband, and some of my friends (even if it is RockBand, LOL!).

So my dear Baby A is growing up in a household that is filled with music. On any given day, depending on my mood, we'll listen to everything from U2 to Mozart to Coltrane to Cash. And already at seven months my Baby Girl wants to play, with something, anything, that makes noise. It's a joy to watch her play with "instruments," which originally included blocks and balls with tiny bells inside that she could shake up. Now she's moved up to the Baby Einstein blocks, which she absolutely adores.

Now I am convinced that she too may have the music gene. During a playdate the other day she instantly knew how to play a set of bongos, although she'd never seen them before. And then tonight, I pulled out an old little tykes xylophone (thanks to the CPH flea market), and she immediately put the wand in her mouth (as babies due), but with a little guidance, she began to play each bar.

Her technique wasn't quite in tune, and my husband thought it was a little pitchy, (he's been watching way too much Idol), but it was music to my ears. I enjoyed seeing her delight in a new toy, and a musical one at that. And yes, music is obviously an important part of my family. I am so blessed that I have had the opportunity to study instruments and chorus while in school, because when my daughter enters school those programs may not even be available. It's a shame really, because music means so much to so many people. It could be someones livelihood, a way to pass the time, a passion, an outlet, a way to educate, a way to express your love. So music to me is many things, but right now, it's an indelible connection between me and my daughter, who I love with all my heart, and I savor all those times that I can sing her to sleep, or sing her a morning greeting. That's what music means to me.

2 comments:

Grams said...

Well you made my morning!!!!! So true, music has been a huge part of our lives. I even have your grandpa's German hymnal from church. Baby A has found that Grandpa Willie's music is soothing and calming. Baby A will enjoy hearing the story about the Blue Lady, aka Grams.

Sparky said...

Ah, music. So important in any child's life - and yes, you do have a history to share with Baby A. I have such fond memories of music with my family - it's what made me who I am today! Where would I be without Elvis and Motown and old country????