Sunday, August 10, 2008

Leave of Absence

God is trying to send me a message, but I certainly don't know what it is. Maybe that I shouldn't be a stay at home mom and I am better suited for just lying around, doing nothing.

I'm getting this vibe because at 2:00 AM Saturday morning I fell down a flight of stairs at our house. It was one of those moments where I could honestly say, "I've fallen and I can't get up." I had to crawl back up the stairs because my left foot hurt so bad that I couldn't put any pressure on it at all. And being the martyr I am, I refused to call out for help for fear of waking Baby A.

So I suffered in silence for hours, got no sleep, and was all worried about a pool party for some friends that we were supposed to have. After watching my inability to walk or even hold Baby A, my darling husband scolded me into going to the ER to have the foot checked out. After four to five hours before even being seen by a doctor, in less than five minutes this doc informed us that the foot wasn't broken, just badly sprained. Lucky me. Now I have to wear a splint and use crutches to get around, which is simply ridiculous for the girl who failed flag corps. because she kept hitting herself upside the head with the flagpole. This girl here don't just fall down stairs, she falls up 'em too. So tell me exactly how am I supposed to used crutches? I'm 36 for Pete's sake, and thank God, never had the chance to use them. I think I'll be scootin' around the house like Baby Girl does.

So I am taking a leave of absence from the stay at home mom gig, at least for three days according to my doctor's note (for real!). I wish I could claim workers comp, but I was checking on the cat, not the baby, so no go.

This could also be seen as comical and/or ironic because the exact same thing happened two years ago during the time between working at the magazine and CPH. Same exact thing. Fell down a flight of stairs for no good reason. This cyclical thing has got to go.

So much for my four hour a day workouts. And one good thing--my blood pressure was at a healthy, low level for me. And I didn't stress out like I could have. So I feel like I'm on the road to wellness, all things considered. Unless that's the pain meds talking.

I haven't broken the news to my boss yet (Baby A). She's gonna be pissed. Thank God Grams is taking her for a day or so to give me a reprieve since I'll be taking a leave of absence for three days. What a hoot.

And it turned out to be such a beautiful weekend, too. I was sure the party could go on with me hobbling on one foot, as long as I can hang out in a floating loung chair in our pool with a BIG honkin' margarita in my hand. Who needs pain pills when you have Tequila?!

3 comments:

SarahHub said...

Oh, no! I hope you feel better soon! Can I help with anything? (AND WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION THIS WHEN I TALKED TO YOU YESTERDAY MORNING?)

Grams said...

I suppose you should have been named Grace! Being the good German mother, I packed my bag, including swimsuit, and headed for your house with a 2-day stay in mind. Praise be!! When you got up around 2 p.m. this afternoon you looked so good -- drugs? So, the Day Care Schedule has been reactivated for this coming week. As far as Baby A, she just enjoys watching her crazy mom watch her, and for me, I'm back home with a bag to unpack. Love, M.D.

+gmjameson said...

Oh dear my friend. Well. Such things keep us humble! Take FULL advantage of your 3-days, my dear. Seriously. !! What does it say about my mental state that I am envious of a woman who fell down the stairs?

Oh dear. ;-)