Monday, September 15, 2008

Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin For

"It is in changing that you find purpose."

I don't know who wrote the above quote, but it's brilliant.

My life has been a rattlin' and hummin' along since quitting my job to stay home with Baby A. I'm healthy for once in my life, spending quality time with Baby Girl, our family is indulging in the StL's cultural offerings, and I'm lovin' every minute of it. Change of scenery, of pace, of focus, has been good.

So why the long face?

I feel like I'm lacking something. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's a hole in my heart that has been difficult to fill. But it finally occurred to me what's missing: a sense of purpose.

When I was working my role wasn't always easily defined, but I knew my place, so to speak. Being a stay at home mom brings a different set of challenges that are less easily defined. Yes, I am a mother. And a wife, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a friend, etc. These roles are all very important to me, but is there more for me out there?

Sadly I feel completely alone in my search. I've found people just don't talk about these things. Why is that? We can talk about everything else, but why not talk about what truly matters to us? Let's be real people. And maybe then we will find what we're looking for.

2 comments:

Sparky said...

Baby A is your purpose - it just may take you a while to figure that out. I know it did for me.
There's no grand scheme - at least not in my world. Live every day to see her smile and be happy, and you will have accomplished it all!

Sass said...

I can understand that being in the stay-at-home mom role can be a different transition....but the purpose is (I agree with Sparky) your little one.

When B goes to his dad's I have often struggled with what my purpose was. I always said, "My purpose is gone for the weekend, what do I do with myself."

The important things in life is finding something within yourself that you truely enjoy doing. What truely makes you happy. And live in that happiness. I have struggled over the years to find that, but my new house and making it a home and gardening.....truely makes me happy.