Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Celebrating Milestones

Yesterday before I left from work Baby A's caregiver, we'll call her Grams, said she'd stick around 'til I got home. These days I never know when I'll get home, but I looked forward to chatting with her and hoped that there was nothing serious on the agenda.

Much to my chagrin my husband and my mother were both home when I arrived and they were celebrating a huge milestone that Baby A achieved -- my dear girl finally has a tooth! Well, as you can tell by the pic it's more of a nub than anything, but it broke the skin, I promise you, I felt it! This has been three long months coming and I was so excited I did my little happy dance. Oh yeah, and I made up a song for it too but no one seemed too impressed beyond me & Baby Girl. Well, maybe the dog, but at his age it doesn't take much to excite him.

I digress. What a delight it was to come home to my adoring family and to the news that a tooth finally popped through. I know there will be many more milestones that my darling girl will experience, but now I'm at a place in my life where I won't have to feel guilty for missing them. I get to be right there by Baby A's side, when she needs me, and even when she doesn't (or at least thinks she doesn't if she grows up to be anything like me).

In the words of one of my favorite poets, Maya Angelou, in her book Celebrations, I'm going to enjoy this moment, and all of the others that come to pass because as a mother I deserve it baby:
"Clap hands, celebrate
We deserve it
Jubilate!"

3 comments:

SarahHub said...

WOW! Her first tooth! The first of many firsts, and you will be there for them all!

I can't wait for our first play date!

Sparky said...

Ah, toofers - so much fun! I'm glad you'll be there for the rest of them!!! Enjoy!!!!

Grams said...

Grams here! What a thrill to see/feel that first tooth. It's been a long time since I experienced that feeling with Wacky Mom. I have even bought a swim suit to get in the pool with Baby A. Things are different now>